While my instagram, twitter and facebook feeds are full of images of costumes and packed suitcases for Marathon Weekend at Walt Disney World this weekend, my bags packed for a much different reason.
My hospital bag is packed, the car seat is installed and I am so ready to have this baby! I procrastinated for far too long when it comes to packing my hospital bag. Most online forums will encourage you to have it packed by 36 weeks. That way, when you are full term (37 weeks) you don’t have to worry about running errands, and packing a bag should you go into labor before you estimated due date. I didn’t finish packing mine until last Friday (just about 38 weeks).
What’s in the bag?
I spent a lot of time on google, and youtube putting together lists of items I might want. When packing, I took a few things into consideration.
- I don’t like clutter. Since I’m not a fan of cutter, I wanted to be sure that I didn’t over pack.
- I hate to be unprepared. Since I hate to be unprepared, I spent quite a bit of time talking over the birth process, and hospital procedures with my OB. I wanted to be sure I was fully aware of what would be allowed in the hospital.
- I wanted my husband to have everything he needed. I love my husband, he’s been my rock through this whole pregnancy. While working full time and completing his final semester of graduate school he has taken care of me and NEVER missed a doctors appointment. So, I wanted to be sure that while we were in the hospital HE would have everything he needed to be comfortable.
So, after I internalized what I thought I might need I came up with the following list of items to take.
- Birth plan
- Small note book w/pen
- Focus cards
- Kindle with funny movies
- Ipod with calming music
- Paper fan
- Tennis Balls
- Chapstick (about 5 tubes in every pocket of the suitcase)
- My Pillow
- Batteries and Chargers
For After Birth:
- Pj’s – two different sets
- Going home outfit
- Flip flops
- Make up
- Hair Straightener
- Dry Shampoo
For My Husband:
- Meal replacement bars
- Energy Snack mix
- for vending machine
- Water Bottle
- Beanie Hat – He is always freezing!
- Receiving blanket
- Day 1 nursing staff gift basket
- Rice Krispee Treats
- Day 2 nursing staff gift basket
- Rice Krispee Treats
- Baby Book – in case my husband wants to start filling it out while we are in the hospital (*hint-hint*)
- Guest Book
- We are taking a guest book for any visitors in the hospital to sign
- Empty bag in case of freebies, cards or other things to bring home
I’m sure there are other things in our suitcase, I’m just not sure right off hand.
What did you pack in your suitcase, am I forgetting anything?