One of my Bucket List items for 2017 was to explore my city. I moved to Miami in January of 2006, and had never actually been to the Everglades. Of course, I’d driven through it on our commutes between Miami and Fort Myers when we lived there for a year, but i’d never actually explored the Everglades. So, we planned a trip!
Over the last year, my husband has been biking to work and so he’s become quite handy with fixing bikes. So, we didn’t need to rent any when we arrived, but there are bikes available to rent if you don’t have a bike or a vehicle large enough to transport one.
Shark Valley is located just about as far west on calle ocho (8th Street) as you can go, not too far beyond the famous “The Pit” Barbecue . At 25.00 per car for entrance into the park, i’d encourage you to make a family or friends trip out of it.
Here’s what you’d need for your day at Shark Valley.
- Bug Spray
- Hat / Sunglasses
- Bike (optional)
What to do at Shark Valley
- Ride the Tram
- There is a 2 hour guided tour of the park, where you will learn information about the alligators, everglades and wildlife seen on your journey. It’s a good option for guests who would prefer to enjoy the Everglades without biking through it.
- Learn from a Park Ranger
- We attended the Ranger Talk while enjoying our lunch and learned about Birds of Prey. This is a neat experience for children, as the Ranger will pass around Bird Skulls, and Feet for people to hold.
- Guided Bird Walk
- Guided walk with a Park Ranger
- Explore the Welcome Center
- Stamp your National Parks Passport!
- With so much to do, you might consider purchasing an annual pass for the parks!
Here’s a look at our first trip out to Shark Valley, I hope you enjoy and give us a thumbs up and subscribe for more fun videos!
Know of an interesting park or location we should explore?
Let us know!