Here in the Jimenez Family, we believe that Thanksgiving deserves plenty of attention and recognition. We do not feel it appropriate to put our Christmas tree or decorations out until after Thanksgiving!
This year is a magical season of life for us. Our girls, ages 3,2 and 1, have simply fallen in love with holidays and love to celebrate them. I mean, it took at least a week for our three-year-old to understand that we couldn’t just go trick-or-treating every day. Since our girls are really into the holidays, we wanted to make them last and create many positive experiences for them. So I got the idea of hosting a Thanksgiving meal, just our family!
Traditionally we spend Thanksgiving Day in Miami with my husbands family, and then Friday – Sunday in Orlando with my family (2015 Thanksgiving Vlog). We have a wonderful time, but this year, as I said, I wanted to extend the Thanksgiving Celebration and being a family of five on a single income, I knew I had to do it for as inexpensively as possible!
So, when I found a great deal on Chicken at the grocery store, I knew it could be a reality! Here is how I put together a beautiful Thanksgiving inspired meal for my family for under 15.00!
I purchased the chicken at my local *Winn-Dixie, but all other supplies were purchased at Aldi. I’m a new convert to the Aldi obsession and plan to do a full blog post about shopping at Aldi and what I love to buy, so stay tuned!
Menu (with Aldi Pricing)
- Sweet Potatoes (.89 3lb bag)
- Marshmallows (.89 1lb bag)
- Frozen Corn (.99)
- Frozen Green Beans (.99)
- Carrots (.69)
- Stuffing (.89 a box)
- Apples (3.99)
- *Boneless Chicken (4.71 4lbs)
Putting it all together!
- Steamed with a little salt, pepper, and butter
- I used my slow-cooker technique to make the sweetest, sweet potatoes ever!
- Topped with Marshmallows and melted for a bit in the oven after the chicken was resting.
- Baked until done with seasonings I had on hand (salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic)
- I purchased it but didn’t make it. When I do make it, I like to add apples, onions, and some celery for flavor and crunch.
- Apple Crisp!
- 5 Peeled Apples (3 granny smith, 2 Fugi)
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1 tbs sugar
- 1 stick of butter
- 3/4 cup flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup oats
- a splash of vanilla
*This post contains affiliate links.