I was so thankful for the opportunity to preview the fitness app Aaptiv for a few weeks. The timing was ideal as I just started Marathon training, and am always in need of motivation.
What is Aaptiv?
We founded Aaptiv with the goal of bringing an elevated workout experience to a global community. We use technology to make that experience accessible anytime, anywhere – whether you’re working out at your local gym in LA or running outside while traveling in London. – source
Aaptiv provides audio classes for you to listen to right from your own home or gym. These classes are hosted by a professional trainer and incorporate motivational music throughout. There are many classes to choose from, no matter your fitness level or how much time you have to squeeze in a fitness routine there is something for you.
- Core Workouts
- Running Training Plans
- 1/2 Marathon
- Full Marathon
- 7-minute Quick Hits
- Strength Training
- Indoor Cycling
- Stair Climber
- Programs & Challenges
- NEW Maternity
- Prenatal Classes
- Stroller Workouts
I really enjoyed the trainers, and the coaching. Especially for treadmill runs. I am not a fan of treadmill running. However, it is so hot right now in Miami, that I have to do my midweek training runs on the treadmill. So, having a coach cheering me on, playing great music is a HUGE motivation, and it actually keeps me on the treadmill.
Now that I’ve played around in the app, and taken quite a few classes, here is a quick list of benefits I found with using Aaptiv
- Access to Trainer Bio’s
- Current Music
- Motivating Trainers
- Ability to Favorite classes
- Ability to share workouts with your favorite social media accounts
Things I didn’t LOVE about Aaptiv
Overall, I was very happy with the app. I was really motivated by the trainers, and even found my running speed increase through the help of the app. However, I like to share my honest thoughts with my readers and felt it important to share a few things that I personally didn’t love.
- Calorie Tracking / Mile Tracking
- Since you don’t put in your actual weight nor GPS location, there is no proof that you actually kept pace with the class. Therefore, your app will day “ran 2.0 miles” but in reality you may have only ran 1.5
- not a huge deal, but for someone who likes to keep records of miles and pace, it can be a little frustrating.
- All Audio / No Video
- Since this is an Audio App, there is no visual demonstration of moves. Obviously, it’s an Audio app. However, I felt like because of the lack of visuals it could be a little intimidating for someone who was new to working out. For example, I listened to a couple of the *Newly Launched* prenatal fitness routines with my sister in law, who is currently expecting, and she had many questions on the moves.
How much does Aaptiv Cost?
- Monthly Fee
- Yearly Fee
- Lifetime Membership
Is it worth it?
I go back and forth on this question, and ultimately I think it is a good investment for someone who is looking to have access to classes and coaches without re-arranging their lives to attend the classes. This would be ideal for someone who is in college, or lives in a neighborhood and has access to a gym with many types of equipment but lacks the motivation to get on a machine and workout.
If you have the money in your budget, and have made a commitment to yourself to workout – I say YES, YES, YES!! This app is absolutely a great thing for you to have. However, if you are more on a budget, or just getting into fitness and learning the lingo this might not be the right time for you to invest in this program.
Interested in checking out the classes, or the NEWLY LAUNCHED MATERNITY WORKOUTS
, go here for a FREE 7-day trial!
Some of my favorite classes included:
- Yoga / Stretch
- Prepare of Sleep
- Runners Stretch
- Chill Vibes, Evening Stretches
- Move, Dance, Run It Out
- Drip Drop Hills